home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Cream of the Crop 20 / Cream of the Crop 20 (Terry Blount) (1996).iso / bbs / qb281cz2.zip / STRUCT.ZIP / C.ZIP / README.1ST < prev    next >
Text File  |  1995-04-22  |  5KB  |  104 lines

1.           ╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
  2.           ║ Structures document for  QuickBBS  version 2.80. ║
  3.           ║ This information  may be freely copied  and used ║
  4.           ║ at no charge  by any  party to  write  utilities ║
  5.           ║ and other  software  which  enhances  the use of ║
  6.           ║ the QuickBBS  software.  Use of this information ║
  7.           ║ in any other BBS program is strictly prohibited. ║
  8.           ║                                                  ║
  9.           ║        Copyright 1991-95 Pegasus Software        ║
  10.           ║                                                  ║
  11.           ║               All Rights Reserved.               ║
  12.           ║                                                  ║
  13.           ║            Translation by Ed Grinnell            ║
  14.           ╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
  16. These structures are derived from the official Pascal structures for QuickBBS
  17. which are copyrighted by  Pegasus Software.  While I have volunteered to keep
  18. these structures up-to-date, I have done so with full knowledge that they can
  19. ONLY be used  in conjunction with QuickBBS  and may not be used  in any other
  20. BBS program. If you can't respect this,  please delete this  document and the
  21. accompanying .HPP file from your HD and move on down the road.
  23. First things first:
  25. 1. Run TC.
  26. 2. Press Alt-O.
  27. 3. Press C.
  28. 4. Press C.
  29. 5. Press Tab.
  30. 6. Make sure that Treat enum as ints does not have an X next to it.
  31. 7. Save your settings.
  33. If you are running another compiler,  make sure that you take the appropriate
  34. steps or the size  of the files won't match  and you will cause great harm to
  35. the file that you're working on. If you ignore this warning, you will have no
  36. one to blame but yourself.
  38. I undertook this  project because Don Pryor needed the structures.  It took a
  39. long time to do but with Don's help, I managed to get it fixed up. One thing,
  40. Steve  is  rarely  static and  I've had  other things  to do so they  weren't
  41. updated for a while.  Well, if you don't keep updated very often, things sort
  42. of creep up on you and that was certainly the case with this project. Imagine
  43. how much  of a hassle it  turned into when I found  that things had radically
  44. changed when  I went back to  update these structures.  Well, they're finally
  45. done and  I'm not about  to let that happen  again.  So, without further ado,
  46. let's get started.
  48. Strings for Turbo Pascal  are stored  as  indicated length + 1.  If you see a
  49. String[35],  there are actually 36  characters that  have been set aside with
  50. the first character indicating the actual length of the string.  When I first
  51. set this up,  I went about it the hard way  (isn't that always the case)  and
  52. did something like this:
  54. Byte NameLen;
  55. Char Name[35];
  57. After a  while I got tired  of typing all that crap  (Man, there are a lot of
  58. strings in  the structures)  so I took  a  different tact.  Since the strings
  59. were all basically a structure of string length and the actual string, I went
  60. with:
  62. typedef struct
  63.     {
  64.     Byte    LengthOfString;
  65.     Char    TheString[35];
  66.     } StringDef35;
  69. Then when I came to a string,  I just typed in the appropriate StringDef name
  70. and all  the mess was taken care of and  it looked a lot closer to the Pascal
  71. structures.  I'm going to assume that you know  what you're doing so I am NOT
  72. going to tell you how to use these structures.  If you don't know what you're
  73. doing,  you shouldn't be worrying  about this document in the first place.:-)
  75. I have included a test file  to show you how some of the information could be
  76. extracted.  This came from an adaptation of some of Don's code. I leave it up
  77. to you to clean it up or to use a more sophistocated method.
  79. Here is a breakdown of the included files that you add to your project to get
  80. started.
  82. Program.inc - This is an  optional  file.  You don't necessarily need  it but
  83. I'd use it.  Rather than include this file,  paste it into your program right
  84. after all the includes.
  86. Qtypes.hpp - This file contains the definitions for the  different types that
  87. QuickBBS uses.  I broke this file away from the main file so that it would be
  88. easier for me to keep track of the info.  Make sure that this file resides in
  89. the same directory as the Quick280.hpp file.
  91. Quick280.hpp - This file contains all the main structures.  To use this file,
  92. just type #include "Quick280.hpp" into your program.  I hope I didn't make it
  93. too hard for you.:-)
  95. Last, but certainly not least, I'd like to thank the following:
  97. The Folgers Coffee Company for the coffee.
  98. Nestle Beverage Company for distributing Carnation Coffee-mate for my coffee.
  99. R.J. Reynolds for Salem Ultra Lights 100's.
  100. Steve Gabrilowitz for providing the Pascal structures.
  101. Don Pryor for testing and double-checking  (and the use of some of his code).
  102. Emerson for the  VCR that I used to tape the TV programs  that I missed while
  103. I was doing this.
  104. Paramount for The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager.